Travel Photos From Kauai, Hawaii

by on April 26, 2012

Kapaa, Kauai

Landscape photography is my first love, even more than making recipes, photographing them and eating them! I always dreamed of one day traveling around the world and taking gorgeous photos of places I’d only seen in magazines. Traveling is one of my favourite things to do! So I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I enjoyed taking them.

I’m in Kauai for the next couple of days still and I wanted to share with you some of the beautiful spots I’ve found. Kauai is home to one of the wettest spot on Earth, the summit of Mount Wai’ale’ale (Wai alay alay) which means “overflowing water”. This spot receives over 462 inches (11,500 cm) of rain a year! It’s one of the reasons it’s so green and lush on the north and east side of Kauai, but they also get strong winds and grey skies during during the winter/rainy season. It’s still technically the rainy season so the weather has been some sun, some cloud and some rain since I’ve been here.

The first photos are from when I went on a photo tour around the north eastern part of the island earlier this week and it just happened to be cloudy, windy and rainy for half of the day so my pictures aren’t super paradisiacal-looking, but you get the idea. On a gorgeous day these places are even more beautiful.

At the end are different days which were sunnier.  All of these places are on ONE island. You won’t believe the diversity there is on Kauai. It’s just amazing so have so many beautiful features to the island all in one place.  And this isn’t even including the gorgeous Napali Coastline either! (Think King Kong’s mountains from the movie). They’ve used Kauai as the back drop to many Hollywood movies. Gilligan’s Island, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park III, Mighty Joe Young, George Of The Jungle, Hook, 6 Days/7 Nights, King Kong, Tropic Thunder, Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Avatar, The Descendants (with George Clooney), Soul Surfer and dozens more have all been filmed on Kauai. Chances are you have seen not only one but many many movies that used Kauai as the breathtaking backdrop for their exotic scenes.

Kealia Lookout Kauai Hawaii

Kalalau Lookout Kauai

Kalalau Lookout, Kauai

Secret Falls Trail Kauai, Hawaii

Kauai Secret Falls Trail Wailua River

Secret Falls Waterfall Wailua River Kauai, Hawaii

Secret Falls Trail and Secret Falls

The west side of Kauai where Waimea Canyon is is drier because most of the rain falls at the summit in the centre of the island and so it’s rather sandy, grassy and sunnier on this part of the island (along with the south side). It’s like a totally different island on this side. So whether you prefer lush greenery and regular rain or dry dessert-like conditions you will find it on Kauai!

These are just a tiny fraction of all the beautiful spots on Kauai. If you’re looking for some tropical island/adventure inspiration check out this gorgeous and professionally filmed video of Kauai. It’s excellent!

1 Megan August 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM

HI Veronica,

I admire you for living your life and traveling the world! I want to travel and I believe you have to bring it to you. Thank you for the inspiration keep up your true talent!

Megan

2 Em May 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM

PS I have to agree with Nan – v cute picture of you at Waimea Canyon!:)

3 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica May 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Actually that was the only good one. He took lots haha

4 Em May 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Man, if you love landscape photography more than even eating your own recipes (which are so damn fine!) then you should definitely keep developing that side of you!

These shots are great! I couldn’t get all of them up on my clunky computer – I did get one of Waimea Canyon which is gorgeous and the one below that one with the beach and the mountains together is stunning – I can’t believe the colours in it are real – so amazing…

Here’s to you, making a living doing what you love – and with someone you love by your side – the trifecta! 🙂

5 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica May 7, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I’ve been doing landscape photography for much longer. That is easier for me, food photography is hard because you have to deal with props, food styling and making sure you don’t overcook or over process the food!

6 Laurie Masters April 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Thanks for these, Veronica! My primary work in recent years has been for one of my book authors who lives on Kauai (in addition to being on Doug Graham’s team for over a decade, I’m on the staff of two of my other authors, working in customer service for their eCommerce companies). I absolutely love him but have never met him, LOL. I’m hoping to get back to the islands sometime soon, and your photos are inspiring that dream!

I’m sure this trip is fully booked, but next time you might enjoy checking out a lovely bed & breakfast on Kauai that our company (Harmonica.com) uses for special student retreats … check out the Anahata Sanctuary, in Hanalei on the north shore: http://www.anahatasanctuary.net/ I think I would like the “Sleeping Temple” room.

I’m envious of your awesome adventures!!
~Love, Laurie

7 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica April 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM

That’s cool Laurie. Yes we’re pretty busy here, we’re going to go on some hikes on our last few days and maybe another snorkelling day. 🙂

8 Nan Chandler April 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Love the juice recipe, Thanks! Love your lush looking photos as well! Lovely!
Must visit Kauai ! I’ve only experienced Maui…
You look so cute in the photo!
Thanks for sharing your trip!
Nan29