80/10/10 Recipe: Raw Vegan Pineapple Mango Delight Smoothie

by on May 23, 2012

Low Fat Raw Vegan Pineapple Mango Banana Smoothie

This delicious breakfast smoothie kind of reminds me of a Pina Colada but gets it’s creaminess from bananas instead of coconut. I was going to throw some other fruit into it, but once I tasted it, it was too delicious to mess around with so I left it with just 3 simple ingredients and it’s definitely one of my favourite smoothies.

The best smoothies are made with fresh ripe produce, so I always make sure to select the best sweetest pineapples, (See my video on How To Select and Cut A Pineapple) and let my mangoes fully ripen on the counter until they are soft and wrinkly (this is when they are at their peak flavour and sweetness).

My favourite mangoes are ataulfo mangoes and right now they are in season until June or so. Generally April-June is prime ataulfo mango season so I always pop down to China Town and get a case or two as these are my favourite. They’re stringless, creamy and the best. You can see part of one in my picture above, it’s on the right. Ataulfo mangoes also have some cousins called the champagne mango, Filipino mango, Thai mango or Indian/Pakistani honey mango. So wherever you are keep an eye out for these yellow skinned (orange inside) mangoes they have a much better flavour than the red and green Tommy mangoes and frozen mango at the store.

We’re actually moving today to a new place today changing from an apartment to a bigger house (in the suburbs), so I wanted to post a recipe on the blog before I get really busy this weekend. I still have some packing to do! So I should get on that…. (who likes packing? I think it’s one of my least favourite things…)

On to the recipe!

Low Fat Raw Vegan Pineapple Mango Banana Smoothie

Raw Vegan Pineapple Mango Delight Smoothie (Fat Free Pina Without The Colada!)

Serves 1

Ingredients:

1 ripe ataulfo mango
1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple (or frozen if needed)
1 medium ripe banana
handful of ice cubes (or none if using frozen fruit)
1/3-1/2 cup water to blend

Directions:

Place ingredients into blender in the order listed and blend until smooth. Serve with a pineapple wedge if desired and enjoy!

Wow that was easy wasn’t it! For variations you could also scoop in some fresh young coconut meat, or add some coconut water instead of the water for a really raw Pina Colada!

1 angel June 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

My bf and I tried this shake. very nice……..the funny part it after we had it for breakfast we slept off like two fools ehhhhe

2 VeganAud May 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I really enjoy this smoothie, with and without the coconut water.
Reminds me of my Caribbean home!!!

3 Al March 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Delicious !!!! Used coconut water and frozen 100% natural frozen mango. This is dinner :).

4 Debra May 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Hi Veronica, you certainly make yummy looking food photos!

Somewhere along the way I repeatedly read not to mix bananas with citrus fruits in smoothies. If I recall correctly it was something changing the digestion of the banana. Is this just one of those myths?

5 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica May 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Bananas have starch in them, BUT they have a lot of starch when they are unripe. If they are fully ripe and slightly soft with spotted skins there is not much starch left in them because the enzymes in the fruit have converted the raw starch into sugar. Pineapple is not a citrus fruit. Citrus are oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits etc. Mango is not a citrus either.

When things are blended you don’t really run into digestive problems anyway as everything can be digested at about the same time. But if you were eating a bunch of whole oranges, on top of a bunch of bananas that were only semi ripe, you might get some bloating and stomach aches. There is a ton of very tough finer in oranges and it takes much longer to digest than bananas, but also underripe bananas are harder to digest because of the raw starch.

You won’t have any problems with bloating on this smoothie.

6 Debra May 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Perhaps it was acidic fruits not truly citrus fruits. Thank you for the clarification.

I pretty much only eat blended fruit with blended greens or as a dressing on greens but this still sounds and looks great!

Thank you again for the helpful info!

7 ORGANIC811LFRV May 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

This is so much like my “Ambrosia” smoothie. I’m sure it will be a winner.

Ambrosia:
Pineapple
Kiwi
Mango
Strawberries
Blueberries
Fresh made Orange Juice

8 Margaret May 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Dear Veronica
This mango / pineapple smoothie looks yum.
Very difficult to find all ripe ingredients in
NZ at present so will substitute ( just for once) !
dried soaked Mango. Can hardly wait for this.
Thank you.
All the Best for your house move too. A lot to do.
Warmest wishes,
Margaret.

9 Melissa May 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM

yummy & sweet!! maybe i’ll try it with the swiss chard. Is swiss chard a cabbage?

10 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica May 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM

No its a different leafy green. It will be stronger tasting and more bitter so use a lot less.

11 Heather May 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM

So weird! I made almost this exact smoothie this morning, only I added green chard. I discovered last summer that pineapples and mangos are delicious together. Who knew? 🙂