80/10/10 Recipe: Kale Apple Celery Green Juice Recipe

by on March 10, 2012

Raw Green Kale Apple Celery JuiceWith Meyer Lemon

Mmm… kale apple celery juice with ginger and Meyer lemon. This is a delicious fat free kale juice with a hint of apple and the tang of lemon and a bite of ginger.

You can easily throw in a handful of greens into your morning veggie juice and a little apple to take out the bitterness.

I like to use celery as the base of my juice and then add whatever else I’d like such as carrots, apples, beets, lemon, lime, ginger, greens etc. There are so many different combinations for fresh juice. The juicer I use is a Breville. I like that it comes with this nice large juicing jug that keeps the foam out of my juice when it pours and it’s much easier to clean than my old Jack Lalane power juicer.

We picked up this bag of Meyer lemons and I thought I’d try them out in this juice. They have a much thinner skin, almost like mandarins and are very fragrant. They’re a nice treat over the regular lemons.

Raw Green Kale Apple Celery Juice With Meyer Lemon

Kale Apple Celery Juice With Ginger and Lemon

Serves 2

Ingredients:

3 apples
16-20 stalks of celery
2 handfuls of kale
1 chunk of ginger
1 lemon

Directions:

1. Wash and/or peel all of your ingredients.

2. Pass all of the ingredients through a juicer.

3. Serve immediately and enjoy!

Raw Green Kale Apple Celery Juice With Meyer Lemon

What’s your favourite juice to make?

1 charlotte funk February 26, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I am going to try this and see if I feel better and drop about 10 lbs! Thank you

2 Nicole January 15, 2014 at 7:27 PM

For lemons and limes (works for all citrus) that are hard, roll them on the counter or cutting board with your hands while applying pressure until they soften up. It kind of squeezes the juice and breaks down the membranes for easy press or hand juicing. I also zest my citrus before I peel it and save the zest for other recipes and garnish. That way there’s fewer things going to waste. I also put the pulp in a composter. My roses love the mix.

3 Tamee December 29, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Grapefruit is a cross breed. It is a Pomelo and Orange cross is what I have read. I love grapefruit. I love the taste, the smell and the way I feel from them.

4 gail metcalfe December 10, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Enjoyed the comments here…. however, just a note that COLD juices are harder to digest as they have to be brought to body temperature in order for all the nutrients to be absorbed properly.

5 Chi Patel November 9, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I want starts green juice fasting how it’s work and what is the food schedule for everyday .
I want to starts for 7 days can u pls guide me…

6 eliza July 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM

This was yummy. Thanks!

7 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica July 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM

You’re welcome!

8 Nancy March 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

5. This is my fourth week of having a juice day. I love lemon in the juices that I make. And a little ginger as well. I was really looking forward to that today but when I opened my fridge I realized I was all out of ginger. Oh well, it was still good. I never thought to use celery as the main base as I usually have a giant bag of carrots to get rid or. Celery is great though. Don’t know why I did not think to use before!
Happy juicing!

9 Margaret March 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Veronica,
Thank you for your great recipes.
I want to buy some books ( I read
them in bed ) rather than buying
Dvd’s.
Kind regards
Margaret (NZ)

10 Veronica March 24, 2012 at 12:56 PM

What kind of books? Savory Raw Dinner Recipes is only a DVD with a mini booklet that comes with it.

Comfort Soups To Keep You Warm is coming out in PDF only for right now and kindle later.

11 lea March 13, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Hi I am wondering if I can just blend all this stuff instead of juicing. I rather have a smoothie type thing than a juice. Plus I’m a thin person and do NOT want to lose weight but rather gain weight. Any recommendations? Does this help with arrythmia? Thanks a lot!

12 Veronica March 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM

You could… but it would be very gritty and wouldn’t be a smoothie. If you’re very skinny you might want to juice and blend more because you get more calories out of it that way. If you were to blend this low cal juice instead of juicing it you’d be full from fibre and would probably burn most of the calories digesting it.

I don’t think I would like it, plus I doubt the Vitamix would want to take on 20 stalks of celery and 3 apples in one go with no liquid.

I don’t know about arrhythmia at all, I am not an expert on that.

I would suggest lots of banana, mango (high calorie) fruit smoothies and adding some greens into those. Apples as a base to smoothies do not work. It’s more like apple sauce and gritty.

13 Veronica March 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I just keep my veggies in the fridge and then the juice is already cold. :)

14 Stacy March 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Your mix looks good – I will try it tomorrow. Very similar to mine, though I add more stuff. I make just enough for a 12 – 16 oz serving for 1.

2-3 stalks celery
2 – 3 stalks kale
1-2 carrots
2 apples
1 lemon
1/4 inch piece ginger
handful of parsley

Also, after juicing, i put the juice in the freezer for about 10 minutes to make it really cold – I think it tastes best very cold. then I put it in a thermal coffee mug and take it to work with me. I sip it all morning and always feel alert and alive.

Thanks for the great recipies – keep them coming.

15 Veronica March 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Thats really helpful stephanie! Thank you

16 Stephanie March 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I discovered the greens juice well if I wrap them around my cucumber/zucchini (sliced lenghtwise), celery, apple wedges and/or carrots. The fruit or other vegetable helps the greens go through the juicer. I use the Jack Lalane juicer until God provides a better alternative. Thanks for all your efforts Veronica.
God bless.

17 Emily March 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM

My kids favourite is orange & carrot! My fave is probably cucumber, celery, carrot & lemon. My juicer doesn’t like greens. I really want a new one because I think mine is on the way out.

18 Em March 11, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Have just re-read your recipe and realised you put apple and lemon in together! So, maybe I’ll leave the lemon in then… :)

19 Veronica March 11, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Oh yes, apple and lemon go really well together in a veggie juice. If I don’t have apples I add more carrots and a beet and a little lemon, but I really think having at least one apple improves the flavour. Depends what you like

20 Em March 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I do endive (or sometimes chicory), celery, cucumber, kale, ginger and lemon – pretty intense, but delicious.

I also eat the pulp soon afterwards – sometimes with some finely chopped spring onions and/or a little mashed avocado – but often alone, as is. That’s yummy too.

The meyer lemons look great! Will have to see if I can source some here…

Veronica, is there an issue with the sugar from all the apples being released too quickly into the bloodstream due to the lack of (apple) fibre present in the juice (as opposed to a blended drink)? Or is it fine her because of all the greens?? (In which case, I think I might add an apple to mine!) :)

Thanks!

21 Veronica March 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Hi Em,

As long as you don’t guzzle the juice and you drink it slowly, and you don’t just drink fruit juice I don’t think it will be a problem.

I have never had problems with having 3 apples in a juice. But I don’t drink tons of fruit juice by itself.

Also if you exercise or drink this upon waking when your blood sugar is already low, it’s not going to cause a problem. Having your blood sugar go up is not a problem, what you don’t want is prolonged elevated blood sugar, which happens when you drink juice frequently and when you eat a lot of fat with concentrated sugar.

I think having some apples with green juice is fine.

22 Em March 11, 2012 at 6:31 AM

That explains it really clearly – Thanks so much!! :-)

Next time, I’m going to leave out the lemon and try an apple instead.

Btw, I forgot to mention parsley as one of my juice ingredients in that mix…

23 melissa March 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Favorite juice: carrot beet. i do sneak in a bit of salt. i love the new meyer lemons. i know they are a cross-breed with a mandarin yet i was so tired of trying to squeeze the last little bit of juice out of a lemon or hard-skinned lime that i’m hooked on the meyers. as far as i’m concerned, a great lover of citrus lemons on everything:

i suppose you could say that cross breeding is questionably ethical or kosher; but this seems sane & obviously it’s done so people can get the most from what’s already healthy about a lemon: the limonene content. As far as i know lemon is one of the best natural foods to use when cleansing. So is the celery base.
THanks again.