Sometimes you get a hankering for those tacos you used to make at home. You know, back when your family cooked up some ground beef and had family taco night? (At least my mom did this when I was growing up!)
But now you can have delicious meat-free tacos and jazz up them with your favorite toppings and make them a little healthier. This vegan taco recipe uses veggie ground that you can purchase at most grocery stores or health food stores. And while I don’t eat fake or packaged meat-like products very often, sometimes your friends or family might want something that has a familiar meaty taste. These fit the bill. Alternatively for a soy-free whole food option you can cook up some brown lentils (or used canned) and substitute that for the veggie ground if you wish.
These vegan tacos are pretty easy to whip up, and take no more time than traditional homemade tacos. And best of all you don’t have to worry about touching or cooking and draining fatty ground beef and making a mess! (That was never fun anyways, right?) You can also top these tacos with your favorite garnishes like homemade pico de gallo, salsa, guacamole and more. I even reused some leftover fajita seasoning mix I made for another recipe so I don’t have to use the high salt msg laden one they sell at the store. Yay 🙂
Now let’s check out the recipe!
Yves Veggie Ground Tacos with Mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
6 oz./170 grams mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 340 g package regular Yves Veggie Ground (or Gardein Veggie Ground) *or sub drained, brown lentils
2 tbsp salsa (low sodium)
2 tsp fajita or taco seasonings (see my homemade recipe here)
Herbamare or salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1 package of taco shells or soft corn tortillas
Salsa or diced tomatoes
Shredded Lettuce or shredded cabbage
Homemade guacamole *optional
Preheat oven (to temperature specified on package of tortilla shells)
1. In a large non-stick pan sauté onions and mushrooms for 5-6 minutes until soft. Add a little water if necessary if it begins to stick to your pan.
2. Add the garlic and the veggie ground and break up with a wooden spoon or spatula.
3. Add salsa and fajita or taco seasoning and cook until veggie ground is browned and heated through.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and cover.
5. Lay tortilla shells on a baking sheet and bake as directed until crispy.
6. Assemble tacos with seasoned veggie ground and top with tomatoes/salsa, lettuce, cilantro and any other garnishes.
7. Serve and enjoy immediately!
Alternatively you can substitute cooked brown lentils for the veggie ground for a gluten free or soy free option. Add seasonings to taste. You may need some water or broth to prevent sticking in your sauté pan.
What’s your favorite way to eat tacos? Hard shell or soft tortillas?