Engine2 Inspired Tempeh Mushroom Panini Melts

by on February 10, 2013

I was watching Engine 2 Kitchen to the Rescue on Netflix the other day and got a hankering for a homemade panini melt like Rip was showing in the recipe section of the film. This recipe is DELICIOUS! I’m definitely going to be making this regularly because the combination of mushrooms and caramelized onions is one of my favorites.

Hummus is a great cheese-free way to make an ooey gooey panini melt because it adds some nice flavor and moisture to it and gets all melty when heated. So make sure to slather it on thick! For a healthier oil free version of hummus be sure to check out my recipe link below.

This is an adaptation of Engine2’s recipe and I’ve added more ingredients to the panini.  🙂

Vegan Hummus Mushroom Tempeh Panini Melts

Makes 2 panini

Ingredients:

4 slices whole wheat bread (look for oil free) *use GF if desired
low fat hummus (see my recipe)
4-6 strips of tempeh (I used sesame garlic tempeh)
6-8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 slice of onion cut into strips
1 tsp soy sauce or gluten free tamari
1 tsp maple syrup *optional
handful of baby spinach
2 pieces of fresh cilantro

Directions:

1. In a small non stick pan, cook the tempeh strips over medium heat until lightly browned on both sides. Set aside. (You do not need any oil.)

2. Sauté the mushrooms and onion slices in a non-stick pan in soy sauce and maple syrup for 5-6 minutes until soft. Set aside.

3. Spread all 4 slices of bread with a thick layer of hummus (you don’t want it to be too dry!) and top 2 slices with tempeh, mushrooms and onions. Lay some spinach leaves on top and sprinkle on a few bits of cilantro. Top with the other slice of bread.

4. In a non stick or cast iron skillet place the sandwiches one at a time over medium low heat. Top with something heavy such as a cast iron skillet, pot or plate with a weight on it. Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes until browned being careful to not let them burn. *Alternatively you can use a sandwich press (cut it in half first) or a panini press and cook for 4-5 minutes.

place the sandwich on a non stick pan with something heavy on top of it

*Or use a sandwich maker or panini press and close the top down on the sandwiches

5. When done slice in half and serve.

panini made in the sandwich maker

panini made in the pan with weight on top

Variations:

If you don’t want to include the tempeh, feel free to leave it out. I like adding it so it’s a little higher in protein and more filling.

You can also mix up your panini by using a different flavored hummus, adding roasted bell peppers, jalapeños, artichokes or smoked tofu instead of the original ingredients.

What’s your favorite vegan grilled sandwich or panini?

1 Kat April 26, 2016 at 3:11 PM

My mouth is literally watering! Looks absolutely delectable! I never thought of making a panini with a pot and a pan but now I can makes paninis! Horray! ^-^

2 jem July 20, 2014 at 7:53 PM

My favorite is two slices of Ezekiel bread, VERY lightly buttered with soy butter for grilling. I cover both slices with a spicy hummus, add a handful of sauerkraut drained and squeezed. If I have avocado, I put some slices on top and then top with the second slice of hummus-coated bread. Yum! I know it sounds strange, but try it. My non-vegan husband really fell in love with it. And you can vary it by using different flavors of hummus.

3 Margo Snyder February 26, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I have been advised by my doctor that not only I am to watch what I eat but I must watch my calories. He said if not watched properly, I can gain weight on a vegan diet. At this point it is more critical for me personally to lose weight. I would love to make this sandwich, would you know roughly how many calories it has or if Engine 2 Kitchen might have it available? Thank You!

4 Sharon Thompsen February 25, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I have been making panini’s in my George Forman grill too. I put all kinds of combinations together and they all turn out wonderful! Thank you for the idea of using tempeh.

5 June February 13, 2014 at 5:02 AM

What a great idea, I am making this one for weekend! Thanks

6 Mark August 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Love panini s I use the George Forman Grill

7 Sarah Campbell July 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I can’t wait to try this but will be leaving out the tempeh. It’s just too expensive. Our grocery charges $7 for a tiny package. I’m trying to figure out what would be a satisfying substitute.

8 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica July 1, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Are u in Hawaii? Yes thats expensive. Its about $4.50-$5 in Canada. You can try smoked tofu (has more flavor) or sauteed zucchini or eggplant instead with the mushrooms and onions.

9 Race June 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM

You can cook the onions mushrooms and tempeh all at once on medium heat to save on cooking time with this panini

10 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica June 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM

The tempeh doesn’t need to be cooked as long as the mushrooms and onions, it dries out quickly cooking dry in a pan.

11 Terri Cole April 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I have Pinned this recipe and will try it soon, As the weather warms up, I’m more interested in sammies and salads instead of heavier food. I think this will be a great summer meal for the hubs and me!

I think my all-time favorite sandwich is bacon (vegan of course) tomato and avocado, but only in late summer when I can use a dead-ripe homegrown tomato!

12 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica April 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Home grown tomatoes are way better I agree.

13 christiane April 21, 2013 at 3:02 AM

love it, love it! Sometimes we do need that type of food. Amazing Veronica

14 Robin March 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM

This was wonderful! Great texture and enjoyed all the subtle flavors. Very satisfying. Thank you!

15 Bill February 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

this was great!

16 betsy shipley February 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Thought I would let your readers know about our website showing our easy method for making tempeh at home. We produced Betsy’s Tempeh in Mich. for 9 1/2 years and developed and patented a new process for making tempeh without using plastic bags. Since retiring we have patented a new process for a tempeh incubator that restaurants and small coop shops could use making tempeh for the local market.
Stay in touch for further developments.
Betsy Shipley
PS When I introduce people to tempeh, I have a fool proof recipe sauce for my tempeh panini: avocado, Grey Poupon mustard, minced garlic, chopped olives, green onions, mix well and spread on top of the tempeh, yum yum

17 Margo Smith July 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Interested in making my own tempeh. What is your we site?

18 BEV RUSSELL March 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I would love the receipe for TEMPEH .
Ido make homemade Satan an it is wonderful.
Thank you for sharing.

HAVE A HAPPY DAY!!

19 Veronica Grace March 30, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Homemade tempeh is EXTREMELY labour intensive. I doubt my readers would want to put in the effort. Seiten is much easier. But here is a link for homemade tempeh, you will need to make or buy some kind of incubator and a soy bean splitter and a culture. It takes a few days to make tempeh. http://www.veganfoodcraft.com/food/protein/how-to-make-tempeh

20 Susan Vickers February 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Even better the second time around!!!!!
YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

21 Susan Vickers February 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Just made the recipe…….it is Great!!
I made Hummus from Dr. McDougalls website.
Have never cooked with Tempeh before…enjoyed the convenience of the already marinated Tempeh.
It tastes quite “rich” doesn’t it?
Definitely a keeper !
Thanks
Susan

22 RK February 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Hello Veronica,
I’ve been vegan for less than 6 months now. I’ve never had Tempeh. What brand do you buy? Only health food stores carry them or can I get them from supermarkets? (in Canada) Thank you very much for your help.

23 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica February 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Tempeh is fermented soy beans. Click on the link in the recipe, that’s what brand I use. Generally you can only get it at health food stores in Canada. In the USA I have seen some major grocery stores have them too. You can always ask your grocery store to carry it too.

24 RK February 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Thank you Veronica.
They carry it at Superstore. I will definitely give it a try.

25 Angel February 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM

That sounds like an amazing sandwich! I will definitely try it soon.
As an Italian, I must say this, not to be rude but….panini is plural. If you make one
it’s a panino! =D

26 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica February 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Oh yes I know! I’ve been to Italy. I know Westerners say panini. But this recipe is for 2 sandwiches and not just 1 right? 🙂

27 Em February 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Hey Veronica, I forgot to ask…what kind of mushrooms did you use/do you like best, for this?

Cheers:)

28 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica February 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I used plain white button mushrooms, cuz they are cheap. But whatever you like, brown crimini, portobello, shitake are good.

29 Em February 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Man, that sandwich looks good!

V, I’d have to say that my favourite grilled sandwich is this one!:) What a stellar combination of ingredients. Come winter, I’ll be trying it out.

30 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica February 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM

🙂 Yay! I really can’t resist mushrooms… through in some onions and hummus and it’s heaven!

31 Teresa de Souza February 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I LOVE IT ! IF I COULD I WOULD PREPARE IT RIGHT NOW TO ME !
I DIDNT KNOW I COULD USE HUMMUS LIKE THIS ! GOOD , Dear Veronica !
Mushrooms , Hummus , Spinach … and Tempeh , WOW . I love these Ingredients too .
And the Idea of ‘ melting ‘ the Slices , including the Humus on it … I really like it . New !
This one I will … prepare to Me . The 2 Serves … once I love Sandwiches .

Best ,